Presenting our gifts

Mid morning, house a-buzz with the energy of the day, 5-year- old traces well-worn path to mama's room proudly presenting one of several like-gifts of the day:

"Mama, look what I have for you."

A page brightly and carefully colored, all 5-year-old.

Temptation rises: another color page. I get several a day from 5, 6, 7, 7, 8 and 9 year old.

The temptation to minimize her gift fades with the realization of her true gift: eyes meeting I give a little thank-you -for thinking -of -me hug nestled in a word of praise. A moment to show her that she matters to me as well. The gift, if I am present in the moment and not caught up in the chaos around me, is oh so much more than a paper with colors.

She is thinking of me.

Racing through the day, do I pause and receive the ordinary gifts God gives, the ones I have several of already; meeting His eyes, giving him a little thank-you-for-thinking-of-me hug nestled in a word of praise?

Am I present in the moment?

Or do I run by and think another ( mouth to feed, meal to cook, dish to wash, room to clean, shirt to fold, bill to pay...)?

These gifts are only routine and ordinary if I focus on the ordinariness of the gift and forget to pause and look into the eyes of the gift-giver and give Him a thank- you- for -thinking- of -me word of praise.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You serve and inspire me every day, sweetie. This particular post does it in a way that's new...after almost 12 years of marriage, you're still bring surprises from deep down inside.

Thank you for stepping out in faith,
Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

Speachless

Being a Mom

Fruity Pebble Moments